(People And Congregations Engaged in Ministry)
February 1-14, 2014
PACEM is a collaboration of congregations in Charlottesville that provides shelter at night during the winter months for people who have nowhere else to sleep. For two (2) weeks UBC will open Fellowship Hall from 6:00 pm until 7:00 am for 45 men to have dinner, take showers, socialize, and spend the night. We will be joined by Crossroads Community Church which will help with meals and spend time with the men.
Top 10 Ways You Can Be Involved
10. Donate items (or money to purchase): new athletic socks (white, grey or black), foot powder, deodorant, disposable razors
9. Take clothing donations to the CVBA Clothing Center on Bolling Avenue. The men will receive vouchers to get needed items at no cost.
8. Donate soft-side travel bags, adult-size back packs, word find puzzle books, stamps, batteries (AA), envelopes, note pads
7. Help set up cots in Fellowship Hall on Saturday, February 1.
6. Help remove and transport cots on Saturday, February 15.
5. Work with a group to prepare and serve a meal. Menus, guidelines, and money will be provided.
4. Come one evening during activities time.
Chat with the men.
Watch a movie with them.
Play a card or board game.
Work a jigsaw puzzle.
3. Volunteer to stay overnight. Two (2) volunteers (plus a PACEM staff person) must be on site from 9 pm until about 7 am.
2. Pick up clean linens at The Crossings and/or help transport dirty linens to the jail.
1. Pray for this important ministry.
Do you need more information?
Come to the Orientation on Wednesday, January 15, at 6:15 pm in Fellowship Hall.
Handouts with guidelines for each area of volunteering are available.
A Signup Board will be available in Fellowship Hall (Wednesday nights), in the vestibule (Sunday mornings) and in the church office (during office hours).
Contact Lynn Martin. Lmartinx2@comcast.net 434-977-8090