The WMU is collecting money to purchase school supplies for the low-income children at Woodbrook Elementary School. This project is coordinated by Love INC in cooperation with city and county schools’ Family Support Workers. You can make checks payable to UBC and earmark them for “School Supplies.”
Many thanks to all who came and participated in our community prayer service on Tuesday. A video of the service can be seen on our YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/n_ynX-bWPRA
On Sunday, June 4, the congregation voted unanimously to call Dr. Matthew Tennant as the next Senior Minister of University Baptist Church. Matt’s first Sunday in the pulpit will be July 30, 2017.
Dr. Tennant is currently the Senior Pastor at Kilmarnock Baptist Church in Kilmarnock, VA, where he has served for the past 8 years. He has degrees from Carson-Newman College, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond, and University of Oxford. Matt worked in the world of finance before being called into ministry. He has written several books and articles. Matt, his wife Melanie, and their teenage sons Dean and Eddy enjoy sailing, hiking, and many other activities.
Read more about the Tennants here.
The Senior Minister Search Committee would like to thank you for your prayers, support, and encouragement during the search process. This was a time-intensive adventure, and we are excited about the outcome! We are looking forward to the Tennant family joining UBC on our journey.
The Sr. Minister Search Committee would like to thank the members of the congregation for your questions and advice, your words of encouragement, and your prayers during the search and call process. This was a time-intensive adventure, and we are excited about the outcome! Please continue to pray for our church as we look forward to the Tennant family joining UBC on our journey.
Senior Minister Search Committee
Brad Groff, Chair
Raynell Stokes, Vice Chair
Summer Covered-Dish Supper and Reception.
Wednesday, July 19, 5:30 pm
Please plan to join us in saying Farewell to Gary Dalton as our Minister in the Interim and to express our deepest thanks to him for his service to UBC in helping us to “cross the interim bridge.”
Target Date: Tuesday, August 1
We anticipate entering an agreement with Piedmont Virginia Parking Center (PVPC) to ensure that parking is always available and free for UBC’s members and visitors while at the church building, to provide additional revenue for general budget expenses, and to remove the burden of daily management of UBC’s parking lots from the church staff. Additional information will be sent by email and postal mail to church members and associate members regarding the financial benefits this arrangement will afford our congregation.
Benefits for UBC:
- Ensure more weekday parking is available and free for church members and visitors attending activities at the church building.
- Generate regular revenue for the general budget expenses of UBC.
- Replace the unintentional “free public first come, first parked” weekday parking with hourly paid parking.
- Set aside a limited number of spaces to offer discounted monthly weekday parking rates for active UBC members and associate members and competitive monthly rates for nonmembers.
- Remove the task of parking lot management from clergy and support staff.
How This Will Be Done:
- Piedmont Virginia Parking Center (PVPC) will reline and number all parking spaces.
- PVPC will install two payment boxes, one for each parking lot.
- PVPC will daily monitor the parking lots to collect hourly parking payments, arrange towing as needed, and interact with owners whose vehicles are towed.
- PVPC will administer monthly parking, providing discounted rates for active UBC members and associate members and competitive rates for all others.
- PVPC and UBC will divide the proceeds of all hourly and monthly parking fees.
How UBC’s Parking Needs Will Be Guaranteed:
- All vehicles with current or newly issued UBC parking stickers may park free at any time on any day while attending services, meetings, special events, etc., at the church building.
- Weekday visitors to the church building will receive free parking passes for their vehicles while parked in the church parking lots.
- During all Sunday worship services, Wednesday evening programs, weddings, funerals, or special events open to the public, all parking will be free and the payment boxes will be covered to avoid any confusion of whether payment is expected.
- PVPC will continue to provide free parking in the 14th Street Garage for UBC on Sundays and Wednesday evenings and for events such as funerals.
“Anthems of Love” – featuring the anthems of Dan Forrest
Dan Forrest (b. 1978) holds a doctoral degree in composition and a master’s degree in piano performance from the University of Kansas. The New York Concert Review described him as having “an undoubted gift for writing beautiful music…” His compositions have received numerous awards, and his choral and instrumental works have been performed around the world, including the World Composer Symposium in Argentina and Osaka, Japan. He has premiered works at Carnegie Hall, the Lincoln Center, the Kennedy Center, and at national ACDA conventions.
We have performed many of his choral works with our Sanctuary Choir and with Jubilate. We hope you will come and join us as we present a service filled with Dan’s music that will inspire and challenge us in our walk with Christ!
Vacation Bible School is coming up on June 19-23, 9am-noon each day.
Volunteers are still needed to:
- Serve as crew leaders and assistant crew leaders (help children rotate through the stations)
- Help with lunch and camp
- Donate cookies/snacks.
Contact Erin Brown if you can help.
Information and online registration are available: universitybaptist.org/vbs
As announced during the May 21 Worship Service, the Senior Minister Search Committee, after a thorough search, is ready to unanimously recommend a candidate to be the next Senior Minister at UBC. The motion from the Search Committee will be voted on at a Called Church Conference following worship on Sunday, June 4.
We are very pleased and confident in presenting this outstanding candidate! We look forward to this new chapter at UBC with great anticipation.
Saturday, June 3, 5:00 pm — Dinner meeting for the congregation to meet the candidate and his family and have a period of questions and answers.
Sunday, June 4, 10:00-10:30 am — Time of fellowship with the candidate
Sunday, June 4, 11:00 am — Candidate to preach in Morning Worship Service
Sunday, June 4, following worship — CALLED CHURCH CONFERENCE TO VOTE ON THE CANDIDATE
Calling all singers! Summer Choir begins weekly rehearsals on May 24 at 7pm, and anyone is welcome to come and participate. The program will take place on July 9. Talk to Alba Beasley if you are interested in singing with us!
Each Wednesday night our Children’s Mission Program will be assembling 12 bags of healthy, non-perishable food to go in weekend backpacks for children at Venable Elementary School. This backpack program at Venable provides meals and snacks for the weekend for families who are currently unable to provide meals for the family. All Souls Church is partnering with UBC to collect food for these weekend bags. You can help by donating packages of 12 or more of the following foods:
- Oatmeal, Grits, Cream of wheat, Individual cereal, Breakfast bars
- Soup, Chili, Instant noodles, Peanut butter/cheese crackers
- Mac & cheese, Canned chicken, Canned Ravioli, Canned Beefaroni, Canned Spaghetti, Canned Beans
- Protein bars, Fruit cups, Raisins, Popcorn, Pudding, Pretzels
- Shelf-stable milk boxes, Juice boxes
Look for collection boxes on the stage in the fellowship hall, and in the first floor lobby.